Wednesday, May 22, 2013

First Project Sewn From My Own Hand Woven Fabric

I'm still learning and practicing weaving on my small Cricket loom, and having fun doing it. Remember this woven piece that I shared a few days ago? It was my third weaving off the Cricket.

 
I'm not real fond of the color. It's a little too much for me, so I decided to use it as my learning piece to sew with...

 
 
and a tote bag is what I decided to make with it. First tote bag, and I researched some on the web, then went my own way, as far as a pattern and directions. I folded the fabric up from the end enough to leave room for a flap, so the bag wouldn't be too deep and because at the time I wasn't sure how to cut up the fabric and keep it from raveling on me.
 

I was a little lazy, and I am not a great seamstress, so I layed the lining on fabric and sewed the side seams all at the same time, plus I sewed across the corners to give it a little depth. This left raw seams down the sides on the inside, which is not too attractive, but it works. I should also mention that before I did anything else I zigzag stitched around all the edges on the machine to help keep it from raveling.


I have all kinds of fabric pieces, but none of them were big enough for a lining, and since I'm just learning and practicing, I found an old bed sheet and cut a lining out of it. I wouldn't have chosen this pattern for this project, but it also works. I folded the edges over the lining and machine stitched them down for the flap.

 
This is the back. I made the shoulder strap by making a thick length of each color yarn (Peaches and Crème solid yellow and yellow/pink/orange variegated), twisting each separately, then twisting them together, and tying a knot, leaving a tassel. I machine stitched an end to each side, making the strap, added a large pink button on the flap for decoration, and called it done! I am now wondering about the large pink button though. :/
 
Finished size is 10" wide, 12" high, 2" front to back, with a 36" strap
 
I learned on this one what not to do on the next one! However, this one is very usable. :)
 
The time I'm spending on my weaving practice is not to say that I'm neglecting my art and other projects. I've been doing some quirky doodle sketches along, and I've just finished the 3rd book in the Millennium Series by Stieg Larsson, which I enjoyed immensely, plus a book written by an old classmate of mine, October Snow and Other Stories by Caldwell Davis.
 
Next on my reading list is Rod Stewart's autobiography. I can tell by sampling it that it's going to be good. I love his sense of humor.  I've been listening to his new CD too and it's awesome! Can you tell I'm a fan? :)
 
Life is also constantly happening in all sorts of unexpected ways, keeping me busy. I can not say that the house work is not neglected. Stuff and dust bunnies have all but run us out since hubby retired. :o
 
It's all good though, and I hope, in some way, I made you smile! :)

No comments: